Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ultimate Purusharth – Living master is a must

I had been in Bangalore in connection with a Seminar on 7th and 8th October. Since 9th and 10th were holidays, I utilized these days for being with Shri Supeji, Swami Virajeshwaraji and Pramhamsa Nithyanandji and attending a Griha Pravesh ceremony for the flat purchased by Shri Satish Kumar – a close friend.

During our (me, my wife and Satishji) visit, among other things, perhaps in response to aversion which my wife expressed to crowded places and long waits in queues in temples or for meeting gurus, Shri Supeji told us about the value of patience in sadhana. He referred to the way disciples of Satyasai Baba wait for years in the hope that some day he will bless them by touching or talking to them, just giving a glance or even by passing through the passage in front of them!

In this connection Satishji told me about the way one of his friend (Ms Rama – residing with her husband in Abu Dhabi – her house is highly charged with guru’s energy), a long time ardent devotee of Satyasai Baba, got his blessings after years of wait. This time also she was waiting with invitation card of her daughter’s marriage in her hands for about a week. This is what she said in response to an e-mail from me :

“Yes, it was indeed a great moment & I feel very fortunate to have Swami’s Dharshan (eye to eye), to talk to him & to touch his feet. Words are inadequate to express my feelings. Infact I feel, now Swami has entrusted me with greater responsibility. I take that moment as a blessing by Swami, to go a step ahead in my spiritual journey.

Infact Myself & Ramesh used to tell Satish Bhaisahab, that we should go to Puttaparthy with you, so that we may get to sit right in front, to have Swamis Dharshan nicely.

I am continuing with my prayers which I normally do, and of course, every time I sit to pray I only get the vision of what I experienced.”

Mainly addressing my wife that day, Shri Supeji also narrated a story of a saint who got married as per the wishes of his parents. The saint always used to remain immerged in his prayers and reading scriptures in the light of a deepak (earthen lamp). One day because of a storm, deepak got extinguished and he became aware of it as he could not read in the darkness. Soon someone came and lighted the deepak. The saint looked at the lady and asked who she was. She said “We were married 20 years back and I am your wife”. The saint was surprised and asked “how come I have never seen you before?” The lady replied “actually I used to light deepak before it was dark, fill it up with oil from time to time and keep the food by your side when it was time to take food. You never noticed it. Today because of storm, deepak was extinguished and, therefore, I had to come and you noticed me.” He said though it will appear to be impertinent but may I ask your name? This narration, perhaps, is a response to the way my wife takes care of me and has helped me in every conceivable way in my spiritual pursuits. It may, perhaps, also be an indication of the way events may unfold hereafter in the years to come - a peep into the future!

Last time I had been to Swami Virajeshwaraji, it was the day before Guru Poornima. He asked me to join in Guru Poornima celebrations as well. But that day I had planned to go to Nithyanandji and, therefore, did not go Swamiji. I was feeling bad about it and thought that he would be unhappy at my impertinence. This time, in the afternoon, I was with Swamiji. He was at his affectionate best and in the end made my day by saying that he feels happy whenever I visit him. I once again understood that gurus are too big to get affected by such impertinences of ignorant and childish disciples! We only miss something by not accepting their offer – they are unaffected!

He also shared with us one of his experiences with his Guru. Once (after he experienced state of Samadhi) Virajeshwaraji had an urge to work for spread of knowledge of Sanskrit as most of our treasured knowledge is in that language. He worked for a few months and wrote a small book for that purpose and placed it before his Guru. The Guru eulogized his effort and intentions for a few minutes and then asked if he wanted to be free (attain Moksha) in this life. Virajeshwaraji said “yes”. Then Guruji explained that this work will not be accomplished in one life and that he would have to come back again and again to finish his agenda. Virajeshwaraji dropped his idea then and there.

This is a trap in which many a great saints fall. On getting a glimpse of Samadhi (which is a huge experience and appears to be ultimate – reaching state of self realization or enlightenment), they are detracted from the main task of their further evolution and take others with them. Instead they branch of into areas of social service, creating and managing establishments and fall.

About two years back I had shown photograph of Nithyanandji to Virajeshwaraji. Looking at it Virajeshwaraji said that he is good but will slip because of his engagement in the activities relating to management of the Ashram. And this is what appears to have come true.

This again brings into focus the need of a living master. But for timely advice of his Guru, Virajeshwaraji would have got engaged in the work relating to spread of Sanskrit which can very well be managed by many a non realized souls.

In the modern language, it can said that one needs to stick to one’s core area of competence.

Once a friend of mine asked Supeji if he could join a NGO after retirement. Answer was an emphatic ‘NO’. The reason being that activities like these gives boost to one’s ego – that one is serving a great cause – which is never good.

Next day after receiving blessings of Nithyanandji, I was sitting with Satishji in his house. After the rituals relating to Griha Pravesh were over (Shri Supeji had been there meditating for about an hour), Satishji narrated to me a story. A girl after getting married was talking on phone to her mother telling her that in this house everyone eats basi roti (stale food). Mother-in-law heard it. After that she took care that everything was freshly cooked. After a few days she again overheard the conversation between bahu and her mother. She was again telling that in this house everyone eats basi roti. When it happened a few times, mother-in-law asked bahubeta we prepare fresh food every time then why are you telling your mother that we eat basi roti. She said “I am telling what I understand and if you wish any further clarification ask my mother”. It was an unresolved riddle and, therefore, mother-in-law asked her samadhin for clarification. What mother of the girl said is significant. She said that your family is well to do in this life because of your past good deeds but you are not doing anything in this life – merely enjoying the fruits of your past deeds. So the food which you eating is basi – being consequence of your past deeds.

Many a well to do householders ascribe their affluent state to their intelligence and hard work – become egoists and look down upon others who are not that well placed. They remain oblivious of the fact that what they are getting in the external world is unfolding of Prarabdha and that their Punya Karmas are getting exhausted.

One needs to work for one’s spiritual evolution – the ultimate Purusharth.

No comments:

Post a Comment