Tuesday, February 21, 2012

We are not what others think of us

To a friend who felt hurt on being pointed out deficiency in his work in the presence of his sub-ordinate.

I can understand the feeling of hurt which you may be experiencing because I have gone through similar experiences in my life.

Later, after reading material on spiritual matters and taking to meditations, gradually I realised that how can opinion of others define me? Am I a product of others opinions? I continue to be what I am, irrespective of perception (good or bad) of others. So, I slowly grew confident (as a consequence of spiritual effort) and while trying to do my best, did not attach much significance to the opinion of others. My unusual attire is also a reflection of that.

Another thing I understood was that if someone else is unreasonable (and there will always be unreasonable persons around), why should I punish myself by feeling hurt for his fault? Punishing oneself for the fault of others does not stand to reason!

In my life, I have not humiliated anybody before others. May be, through this unintended incident (blunder), I am being made to serve some higher purpose. May be it is wake up call for you (from the slumber of taking this worldly existence as the reality) – a person with rare blend of sincerity, hard work, intelligence and constructive approach in life!

Our sincerity and devotion should be our strength, give us confidence and not make us vulnerable to opinion of others [as such opinions depend on the mental make-up of others (which has nothing to do with us), their information base (which could be inadequate) and even motivated] and make us suffer.

Recently our batch mate was given a 'Good' report by the Member (because of a frivolous complaint and having no information about the sincerity and integrity of the officer) and the officer felt as if everything in life is gone for him since in his view he had earned nothing other than reputation in the department (it was his only possession) and it was gone. He became very depressed.

One has, therefore, to acquire emotional strength and enable oneself not to get disturbed / carried away by the opinion of others.

If reading this, rings some bell or touches some corner of your heart, you may patiently and slowly read first four (from the bottom) articles on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment