Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How I was put ... Part - IV

Before writing on the topic mentioned in my last article and moving on to Ahmedabad, I would like to mention a few more changes and experiences of my Indore days (1987 to 1992).

While at Indore, when I became substantially free from the grip of emotional reactions (substantially reduced anger and fear were clearly noticeable – there may have been other subtle changes as well – a sure sign of clearance of sub-conscious and elevation of consciousness), I succeeded in creating a very positive atmosphere in the house immediately after the death of my father-in-law (he died of cancer on 9th December, 1990 in our house at the relatively young age of about 48 years leaving behind 4 of his young children). In the evening the same day when we were back from cremation ground, I made a light remark about the shining shaved head and face of brother of my father-in-law (his head was shaved as part of tradition). The tone and tenor of the remark made everyone smile including my mother-in-law. This encouraged me to make a move forward. I said that it is believed that after the death of a person, those who are left behind should perform acts which the departed soul liked and mooted the idea of playing Rummy and Papalu (a card game) and accounts will be settled on 13th day. Surprisingly, everybody agreed and we started playing card on the same day and started having usual food, tea and snacks in the house from the next day. Those who visited our house consequent to this tragedy were really surprised at the positive atmosphere in the house.

As for the office environment, my bosses were very pleased with my work and attitude but a colleague of mine tried to malign me through misinformation and backbiting throughout the period of our stay at Indore. I could handle the situation without significant disturbance by first talking to him straight and seeing no improvement asked him to minimise contact with me. Another senior colleague wrote to my seniors for initiating disciplinary proceedings against me twice. I could ward off his attempts by properly explaining my conduct in a particular matter reported by him and later mobilizing officers associations against him without precipitating the matter.

During this period, a number of external changes in my life also appeared. First change was that at this time (1990-91) my wife granted me permission not to shave (I did not like shaving my beard – I found it to be a painful experience). Second change was that I switched over from normal attire (pant and shirt) to wearing Dhoti and Kurta made of Khadi in office (apparently at the instance of a Gandhian, Shri Mukhteswar Singh, who was our relative and worked as Member of MPPSC). Third change was that I stopped wearing underwear (apparently because in one of his lectures Osho said that this impacts the temperature and movement of testicles resulting into adversely affecting production of some vital hormones).

Now I feel that all these apparently disconnected changes (but brought in the same year after breakthrough was achieved at spiritual level consequent to the instructions and support of Osho and meditations) had major role to play me in my sadhana. The first two changes were in a way my declaration of independence from public opinion – that I was no more bothered about what others think of me. Precisely for this reason, Osho asked his disciples to switch over to Saffron Choga. Though I did not formally take Sanyas from him and did not change to that dress, eventually it was made to happen by change of my attire in this way. Further it is said that a sadhaka should put on loose dress – it helps in meditations. Third change made that difference. Not wearing underwear also helped me to be conscious in one way. I had to watch my feelings and emotions if there was possibility of sexual excitement as erection in public place would be a huge embarrassment. This added to the opportunities for practicing ‘awareness’.

My wife appreciated changes brought in me as a result of meditations. Sometimes when I was talking to someone on some spiritual matter and meditations and if anyone asked her whether it helped me, she used to say ‘yes’ emphatically and without any reservations. She also did not object to any of the external changes in my appearance and attire. This also helped me a lot.

As they say when one takes to spiritual path with no material expectations and ambitions, whole existence comes to help him. This is what, perhaps, was happening to me.

One more instance I would like to narrate is that once an acquaintance of ours who was suffering with blood pressure, hypertension and insomnia after the death of one of his close friend came to meet us. I gave him a three hours input for attitudinal correction and asked him to try chanting “oooooooo ….” for 10 minutes just before sleeping. Effect was miraculous in very short time of about 10 days.

Yet another instance is that a clerk whom I had suspended did not have hard feelings against me. In the time of need (arranging bail for her brother from police custody) she came to me asking for a small hand loan. I happily gave the money to her. This shows that when our actions, in discharge of our functions, are not motivated (we do not carry anger or hatred inside us), this is unmistakably perceived by others and it does not trigger strong reactions in them.

To be contd. …

No comments:

Post a Comment